Latest topics

Advanced pre-qualification/eligibility check for infra

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advanced pre-qualification/eligibility check for infra

Post by kim_wd on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Good day to all...

Can an agency conduct a sort of advanced pre-qualification/eligibility check of contractors who would be interested in a certain infrastructure project, even if the said project is still in the process of carrying out the detailed engineering activities?

In the revised IRR of RA 9184, the process of eligibility checking is no longer a separate activity, rather it is done on the same day as the opening of the technical envelope.

I can see that if we are to push through with the advanced eligibility check, we don't even have a basis for pre-qualifying the bidders since we do not as yet have the ABC at that stage.

Can you please provide additional insights on this and its implications? I am actually tasked to research on this by our GM.
kim_wd

Female Number of posts : 43
Company/Agency : GOCC water district
Occupation/Designation : BAC Member
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Advanced pre-qualification/eligibility check for infra

Post by jcolas on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Can an agency conduct a sort of advanced pre-qualification/eligibility check of contractors who would be interested in a certain infrastructure project, even if the said project is still in the process of carrying out the detailed engineering activities?

In the revised IRR of RA 9184, the process of eligibility checking is no longer a separate activity, rather it is done on the same day as the opening of the technical envelope.

I can see that if we are to push through with the advanced eligibility check, we don't even have a basis for pre-qualifying the bidders since we do not as yet have the ABC at that stage.

Can you please provide additional insights on this and its implications? I am actually tasked to research on this by our GM.

It must be noted that in the Revised IRR, pre-qualification/eligibility checking is done simultaneously with the opening of the bids. Your proposition that an advance eligibility checking is feasible as long as it will not be a part of the procurement activity. It is just a simple checking which may be used by your management to come up with a decision of some sort. Another thing is that, what will be your parameters in that proposed advance eligibility checking? Sir Kim, i really do not know...
jcolas
Board General
Board General

Male Number of posts : 517
Company/Agency : DepED RO 2
Occupation/Designation : Administrative Officer V
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez« on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 pm

kim_wd wrote:Good day to all...

Pre-qualification was long been abolished in the advent of GPRA [2003]. Eligibility check prior to submission and receipt of bids (for Infra) was also amended by the Revised IRR [2009]. With regards to the underlined, I do not see any reason why you do not have an ABC if ever advanced eligibility check will be conducted. Does that mean, we are not preparing APP? Where would the budget be from? Smile
engrjhez«
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2481
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 am

If you have a registry of contractors already, you may be able to do an "advanced eligibility check of contractors who would be intested" but only those contractors who are already registered. It would be faster for the BAC to issue a certification to the interested contractors and/or require the updating of Class A documents that needs updating.

The problem I see, though, is if you have no ABC yet (which is rightfully being questioned by engrjhez), you would not be able to determine whether a contractor with Small A or Small B registration, for example, would be able to participate as their participation would be dependent on the amount of the ABC. But you may be able to determine in advance, which among the contractors could participate if the ABC is P10M or below, above P10M but not more than P15M, etc., and which contractors need to update any of their Class A documents.

Of course, you cannot make an advanced eligibility check for those not yet registered, because they are allowed to participate in the bidding process by including their eligibility requirements in their Technical Proposal.

On the other hand, if you have an electronic registry (not a manual registry), you should set a deadline for the submission of LOI and/or submission or updating of eligibility requirements. Once the eligibility requirements are submitted, which is prior to the submission of bids, then you could make an advanced eligibility check.

RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by kim_wd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Thank you to the distinguished men of this forum for your replies... kingkingking

Actually we're now in the process of planning our budget for the next calendar year and we are just contemplating on the matter of having an advanced eligibility check (whether it's allowed or not) because we will be embarking on an infra project, which of course would entail detailed engineering activities before it is implemented.

What we want to know is whether it is allowed to have an advanced elig. check while we are still on the detailed engineering activities. At that stage, there is still no definite ABC yet because the cost estimates, program of work, etc. are still being prepared. But if we have a project name, for example "Construction of a Four-Storey Concrete Office Building for the Water District" or "Construction of (xxxx) km. (yy)"° Water Supply System", there would be a general idea of how much the project would cost.

Inputs please... Question Smile
kim_wd

Back to top Go down

Post by riddler on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 pm

kim_wd wrote:Thank you to the distinguished men of this forum for your replies... kingkingking

Actually we're now in the process of planning our budget for the next calendar year and we are just contemplating on the matter of having an advanced eligibility check (whether it's allowed or not) because we will be embarking on an infra project, which of course would entail detailed engineering activities before it is implemented.

What we want to know is whether it is allowed to have an advanced elig. check while we are still on the detailed engineering activities. At that stage, there is still no definite ABC yet because the cost estimates, program of work, etc. are still being prepared. But if we have a project name, for example "Construction of a Four-Storey Concrete Office Building for the Water District" or "Construction of (xxxx) km. (yy)"° Water Supply System", there would be a general idea of how much the project would cost.

Inputs please... Question Smile

i subscribe to the opinion of engrjhez and RDV kim. you really need to finished your detailed engineering first and determine your ABC and follow the procedures of the revised IRR. you cannot proceed to an advance elig screening even with an ABC (unless you maintain a Registry of Contractor), that is not required by the amended IRR for Infra. Very Happy forget the timelime, don't proceed to a "half-bake" project yet, just because you need to meet a deadline.. Very Happy it is really requires times doin detailed engineering especially for complex building like that.. Very Happy by the way why didnt your company consult a consultancy firm to do the detailed engineering to meet your deadline?
riddler
Board General
Board General

Male Number of posts : 598
Company/Agency : lgu
Occupation/Designation : endyeenel
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kim_wd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Yes, mga sir, point taken. Thank you very much sa mga opinions ninyo. As I've said, nasa budget planning kami ngayon. What I've told you are actually scenarios pa lang, mga "what ifs". Like, what will be the consequence if we take a particular step; so that we will know.

Again, thank you po. sunny
kim_wd

Back to top Go down

Post by jcolas on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I am very sorry maam kim for referring to you as sir in my post. Next time, I really have to be more discerning. Again, my apology madam.
jcolas
Board General
Board General

Male Number of posts : 517
Company/Agency : DepED RO 2
Occupation/Designation : Administrative Officer V
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by sunriser431 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:57 pm

kim_wd wrote:Yes, mga sir, point taken. Thank you very much sa mga opinions ninyo. As I've said, nasa budget planning kami ngayon. What I've told you are actually scenarios pa lang, mga "what ifs". Like, what will be the consequence if we take a particular step; so that we will know.

Hi "kim_wd", I believe local water district are very capable GOCCs, especially so with infrastructure projects,(ex. water supply systems, i do believe including the construction of production wells maybe supply and installation of pipe lines etc.) by the very nature of your mandate, have you consider doing it by administration? or seek help from LWUA (Local Water Utilities Administration.). The LWUA have the registry of supplier you may seek their assistance.
Here the website address click this LINK
or Accredited suppliers click this link
or accredited manufacturer Click this link
Hope it might help. bounce
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1518
Company/Agency : Goccs Jolo Sulu All the way Downsouth
Occupation/Designation : IAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kim_wd on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:39 am

jcolas wrote:I am very sorry maam kim for referring to you as sir in my post. Next time, I really have to be more discerning. Again, my apology madam.

It's okay po sir jcolas, no damage done. Smile
kim_wd

Back to top Go down

Post by kim_wd on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

sunriser431 wrote:
kim_wd wrote:Yes, mga sir, point taken. Thank you very much sa mga opinions ninyo. As I've said, nasa budget planning kami ngayon. What I've told you are actually scenarios pa lang, mga "what ifs". Like, what will be the consequence if we take a particular step; so that we will know.

Hi "kim_wd", I believe local water district are very capable GOCCs, especially so with infrastructure projects,(ex. water supply systems, i do believe including the construction of production wells maybe supply and installation of pipe lines etc.) by the very nature of your mandate, have you consider doing it by administration? or seek help from LWUA (Local Water Utilities Administration.). The LWUA have the registry of supplier you may seek their assistance.

Thank you sir sunriser431 for your inputs. Yes actually we've consulted with LWUA and other authorities regarding this infra project of ours. It's a rather big undertaking so we're not having it by admin. We're ticking off our what ifs one by one in order for us to be clarified on a lot of things. Mahirap na kasing sa huli magsisi and also to avoid the eternal passing of the buck, so to speak.
kim_wd

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie brown on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:54 pm

some sort of advance eligibility checking can be done especially if a PE is maintaining a registry (electronic or manual). However, it should be stressed that the purpose would merely be to give the BAC and TWG some idea as to the feasibility of the procurement and also to make it easier for them later in the evaluation and post qual. However, it should not be used to pre identify the supplier who should be allowed to participate in the bidding ( which i believe was what pre-qualification was all about in the olden days and which is precisely prohibited and replaced with simple eligibility checking.)

having said it however, it has been rightly pointed out by the others that without the ABC it would be difficult for the PE to complete the eligibility checking (even with a registry) since the submitted NFCC or credit line may not be relevant/adequate to the proposed project, hence the even if the supplier should update its records it may still need to know the ABC to be sure of providing the correct CLC if it does not opt for NFCC. further the PE should also be able to come with the final project description including the relevant period before a complete eligibility chacking can be done since the existing tack record on file may not also be relevant to the proposed procurement.
charlie brown
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Male Number of posts : 218
Company/Agency : national government
Occupation/Designation : BAC Chair
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by sunriser431 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:37 pm

kim_wd wrote:
sunriser431 wrote:

Thank you sir sunriser431 for your inputs. Yes actually we've consulted with LWUA and other authorities regarding this infra project of ours. It's a rather big undertaking so we're not having it by admin. We're ticking off our what ifs one by one in order for us to be clarified on a lot of things. Mahirap na kasing sa huli magsisi and also to avoid the eternal passing of the buck, so to speak.
As always you are welcome "kim_wd". Point to consider. Have you tried consulting/seek assistance from other very Large water district? for sure they could be of help. since your line and nature of business are similar.
Here additional LINK or HERE or maybe google search. Smile
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by kim_wd on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 am

sunriser431 wrote:
kim_wd wrote:
sunriser431 wrote:

As always you are welcome "kim_wd". Point to consider. Have you tried consulting/seek assistance from other very Large water district? for sure they could be of help. since your line and nature of business are similar.

Yes sir, thank you. As far as I know, our people from the Engineering Dept. are already consulting other water districts about this. I'll relay your other suggested water districts to my superiors. Smile
kim_wd

Back to top Go down

Post by sunriser431 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 pm

kim_wd wrote:
sunriser431 wrote:
kim_wd wrote:
sunriser431 wrote:

Yes sir, thank you. As far as I know, our people from the Engineering Dept. are already consulting other water districts about this. I'll relay your other suggested water districts to my superiors. Smile
okay no problem "kim_wd", as always you are welcome. Smile
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content