Latest topics

Reputation Rating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reputation Rating

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Admin:

Do you have any way of controlling possible "abuses" on "reputation rating" whether for or against a poster?

If not, better to do away with it. We can live with the Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven (forum ranking system)

For one, with due respect to new member 'darkamp', in his first posting today he already earned a reputation rating of one (1), while engrjhez has yet to earn his first point Very Happy. A subsequent look, engrjhez has increased his to 4.

I have already a reputation rating of +2, but tomorrow, who knows, it may be down to -2. By regularly posting, I have already put my "reputation" online. If somebody would disagree with my posts, I would rather that disagreement be known to everybody rather than he/she just presses the (-) sign.

Or I could get a partner, who could be a forumer-friend, or register myself under a different identity, just for the purpose of giving credit to the other partner. "I increase your reputation, you increase mine", kind of thing.

It could be an unfounded fear, though. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Reputation Rating

Post by engrjhez® on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

I am holding myself to ask the same question yesterday (where i still have to earn a "reputation" Very Happy). I initially want to ask how Shobe got her Reputation Rating (RR). I thought then, citing jurisprudence or mentioning Latin terms such as "jus sanguinis" and "jus soli" will earn a point. Actually, it was also yesterday when I wanter to post a "shout out" like "hey! how do I get a RR?!" But then later as I was wondering, I saw Admin's announcement. There I realized that clicking the "thanks" button actually gave mealigan a +RR. Then everything went clear - that the forum actually introduced a "reputation" system.

I may be partly responsible in this mess (if it's a real mess). I remember suggesting rating of this kind to Admin weeks ago. I hope I do not violate any from this forum by sharing my SENT MESSAGE as a reply to the moderator. Here is my reply after a Private Message (PM) was sent to me by dlsn asking for my suggestion:
engrjhez wrote:I would initially agree on the criteria based on the number of posts. But the trouble in this system is "spamming". As simple as "YES" as a reply constitute a 1pt for post - which to me is not right. I have entered several forums but I think you can deduce by choosing on "eBay" type of ranking or by "Yahoo! Answers" rating system:

1. In the "eBay" type of ranking, every transaction suggests two-way rating. The seller (poster in our case) gets a "seller rating" from the buyer (anyone who can answer the poster) and vice versa. The ratings may be positive (+1), neutral (0) or negative(-). But of course a single post may have several replies. So there goes the second type,

2. In the "Yahoo! Answers", each reply (or post) is equivalent to 1pt. The best answer gets 10 points. The person who asks the question (the poster) shall be entitled to choose that best answer. There are no negative ratings - just points for everyone.

But here, we can improvise by combining both concepts. Since we need multiple (but controlled) ratings for "No.1" and "No.2" doesn't really look for the "best" answer, here is my suggestion:

A "poster" shall be presumed to ask a question. He/She gets 1 point for posting a question. Everyone who replies to the post shall be given 1pt for answering in the forum. All other internal replies within the same topic shall not gain a point. The "poster" however, has the privilege to give an additional rating of either (+1), (0), or (-1) to any or all of replying users within the topic. This rating shall only be made once for every member in the topic. The privileged rating shall be refreshed for every additional topic the "poster" undertakes.

There will be at least 2 statistical figures for each member. The "default" post rating, and the "user" rating. The default rating shows how many topics each member have joined. It shall be divided into "no.of posts" or "no.of reply". The "user" rating, on the other hand, will show how good a member is performing in the forum. "User" rating however shall be optional for the "poster". In case when the privilege is exploited (as in the case someone unjustifiably marks negative (-1) to anyone), the Admin or moderator may alter the rating based on the facts within the forum itself, or by reconciliation of the two parties (in a separate menu). From such statistics, we can see how many post a member have accomplished, and how many of them prospered in gaining a user point. From there, we can add an additional stat. figure (in percentage), say "reliability" in "x" user ratings divided by "y" number of posts.

Ahh... so many ideas, too little time... study

The only different thing in this Reputation Rating is, we do not see the persons making the RR's. Showing the source of whether + or - point may give partial, if not full transparency of the rating. [I do not know myself who gave me +RRs]. Anyway, this is just a "test flight" of the system. Let us see how it flies... Very Happy
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2480
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

REPUTATION RATING

Post by mealigan on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:05 am

thanks engrjhez.
i too wondered how i got the RR of 2, i thought it was because of me being a trainor; anyway what's more important are the ideas we shared which can help others in their predicaments on procurement.

mealigan

Male Number of posts : 19
Company/Agency : Bicol University College of Engineering
Occupation/Designation : Asst. Dean / Procurement Trainor
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by venom.0420 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 am

I think a "thank you" post or a private message of thanks would be better than the reputation rating system. It's more personal and more sincere. Very Happy
venom.0420
Active Poster
Active Poster

Male Number of posts : 98
Company/Agency : Government
Occupation/Designation : Government Employee
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Reputation Rating

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 am

The reason for this system lies on the fact that the forum ranking is limited only on the number of posts a user has. This system, on the other hand, allows users to rate other users based on their posts. How about we change "Reputation Rating" to "Users' Rating"?

We were also adamant to use this rating system considering the gamut of problems which may arise with regard to its control and reliability. This is why we decided to pilot test it for a month. Your votes on the poll will and reaction here will guide us whether to maintain it or scrap it.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep on posting.

Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://gppb.topicsolutions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:56 am

engrjhez wrote:I am holding myself to ask the same question yesterday (where i still have to earn a "reputation" Very Happy). I initially want to ask how Shobe got her Reputation Rating (RR). I thought then, citing jurisprudence or mentioning Latin terms such as "jus sanguinis" and "jus soli" will earn a point. Actually, it was also yesterday when I wanter to post a "shout out" like "hey! how do I get a RR?!" But then later as I was wondering, I saw Admin's announcement. There I realized that clicking the "thanks" button actually gave mealigan a +RR. Then everything went clear - that the forum actually introduced a "reputation" system.
I think I am responsible for shobe's RR of 2 since I pressed the "Thanks" button for recalling what her former law dean teached about joint venture, after tossing dlsn's reply to my questions on the subject for her to comment on.

I was also surprised, engrjez, how you get your RR of 4 within one day. Just a minute before, I saw you didnt have any RR, but in a while you got 4. Surprised

engrjhez wrote:I may be partly responsible in this mess (if it's a real mess). I remember suggesting rating of this kind to Admin weeks ago. I hope I do not violate any from this forum by sharing my SENT MESSAGE as a reply to the moderator. Here is my reply after a Private Message (PM) was sent to me by dlsn asking for my suggestion:

I would initially agree on the criteria based on the number of posts. But the trouble in this system is "spamming". As simple as "YES" as a reply constitute a 1pt for post - which to me is not right. I have entered several forums but I think you can deduce by choosing on "eBay" type of ranking or by "Yahoo! Answers" rating system.
I think, we can make do without the RR. As I mentioned in my topic starter, I have put my reputation on the line ("online") with my real name, position title, agency, (except my age, hahaha) disclosed in my profile. Anybody who has doubt on what I say is very much welcome to correct me or disagree with me. That is the essence of "Transparency" we are espousing in this discussion.

As a trainer, I also want to enhance my knowledge further not only about the law but also about the experiences of the members of the forum in their implementation of the law. I am learning a lot from everybody. We are not here just to boost our own egos with some form of a good "reputation". Our egos are already boosted by the increasing number of new members actively participating in the discussion and from their respective responses to our own replies. jocolor
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:01 am

Admin wrote:The reason for this system lies on the fact that the forum ranking is limited only on the number of posts a user has. This system, on the other hand, allows users to rate other users based on their posts. How about we change "Reputation Rating" to "Users' Rating"?

We were also adamant to use this rating system considering the gamut of problems which may arise with regard to its control and reliability. This is why we decided to pilot test it for a month. Your votes on the poll will and reaction here will guide us whether to maintain it or scrap it.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep on posting.
I would like to stick with my suggestion : USER RATING.

The current system is already good in its purpose - just need to rename the ratings from "REPUTATION" to "USER". Apparently, the term "reputation" indicates subjectiveness. To an ordinary user, reputation may be misleading like: "How about the Admin? He hasn't got any reputation yet?" or "who rated them their reputation? they seemed not reputable at all".

If possible, I would also like to extend my suggestion in showing who gave the point to anyone (whether + or -) in the user's profile.

May we live in peace and harmony! afro
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 am

RDV wrote:As a trainer, I also want to enhance my knowledge further not only about the law but also about the experiences of the members of the forum in their implementation of the law. I am learning a lot from everybody. We are not here just to boost our own egos with some form of a good "reputation". Our egos are already boosted by the increasing number of new members actively participating in the discussion and from their respective responses to our own replies. jocolor
The same reason i have to stake my name (username) and details. True that by doing so, we have put our names on "fire" because we gave our details on who we are and where we are. But same as RDV, my purpose is to gain knowledge while sharing what I already got. I, myself would not agree that my reputation (in the ratings) is far better than everyone else. Hence, shifting the name to USER RATING will turn subjectivity to objectivity.

Just another day in staking my name ... Laughing
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by shobe on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:12 am

I am holding myself to ask the same question yesterday (where i still have to earn a "reputation" Very Happy). I initially want to ask how Shobe got her Reputation Rating (RR). I thought then, citing jurisprudence or mentioning Latin terms such as "jus sanguinis" and "jus soli" will earn a point. Actually, it was also yesterday when I wanter to post a "shout out" like "hey! how do I get a RR?!" But then later as I was wondering, I saw Admin's announcement. There I realized that clicking the "thanks" button actually gave mealigan a +RR. Then everything went clear - that the forum actually introduced a "reputation" system. ---engrjhez

This is quite offensive. Really.
shobe
Active Poster
Active Poster

Female Number of posts : 79
Company/Agency : Makati Firm
Occupation/Designation : Lawyer
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by shobe on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:25 am

I think I am responsible for shobe's RR of 2 since I pressed the "Thanks" button for recalling what her former law dean teached about joint venture, after tossing dlsn's reply to my questions on the subject for her to comment on--Sir RDV.

Thank you SIR RDV. Having come from you, it's quite a compliment po Very Happy

I was also surprised, engrjez, how you get your RR of 4 within one day. Just a minute before, I saw you didnt have any RR, but in a while you got 4.--Sir RDV

Same sentiments.

I am holding myself to ask the same question yesterday (where i still have to earn a "reputation" Very Happy). I initially want to ask how Shobe got her Reputation Rating (RR). I thought then, citing jurisprudence or mentioning Latin terms such as "jus sanguinis" and "jus soli" will earn a point. Actually, it was also yesterday when I wanter to post a "shout out" like "hey! how do I get a RR?!" But then later as I was wondering, I saw Admin's announcement. There I realized that clicking the "thanks" button actually gave mealigan a +RR. Then everything went clear - that the forum actually introduced a "reputation" system. ---engrjhez

This is REALLY offensive.
I think we should be more than respectful in our posts.
shobe
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 am

shobe wrote:
This is quite offensive. Really.
My apology. Really.

I never meant to offend anyone with such statements. I just wrote the sequence of events that occurred before realizing the reputation system. Let me break it down :

1. Yesterday, as I was answering a reply (mealigan) when i saw a "Thanks" button beside "Quote" button. In gratefully accepting the reply, I clicked "Thanks".

2. As I was browsing, I saw Shobe and saw below her avatar "Reputation Rating = 2". I was looking in the post where pacta sunt servanda was discussed between Shobe and RDV;

3. To my astonishment, I asked to myself: "Reputation Rating? But how come RDV dont have any?(RR=0?)". I am trying to understand how it came into being. Is it being a lawyer? My statement on the Latin stuff is supposed to be a joke (but now it hasn't become one);

4. Later, I saw mealigan also with RR=2, so I realized lawyering stuff doesn't get that point - and I was wrong. That is the time I wanted to shout out, "hey, how do we get a reputation?";

5. I was about to draft a post about it when I saw RDV with RR=2. I did not pushed my question but instead I wanted to find the answer myself;

6. I went to the Announcements and saw Admin's post about the system, then everything went clear.

7. Later in the afternoon, I was surprised myself when I saw my RR is raised to 4;

8. Late in the evening, I saw RDV's post about the REPUTATION RATING system. He did mentioned something about the fear of manipulating the RR system and mentioned his amazement on how "engrjhez earned RR=4 only in one day, when earlier this morning his RR is 0".

The underlined is supposed to be quite OFFENSIVE too on my side. But I did not bother taking it as is because I personally knew RDV and I respect his insights as I feel the same earlier that day. Of course everyone has his/her personality which takes every word differently and I would again want to express my apology in not considering that fact.

But I would like to emphasize that I did not mention Shobe's name for singularity (because I mentioned a some others too), and for any reason I did not want to offend the profession, nor the personality.

AGAIN I WOULD EXPRESS MY PUBLIC APOLOGY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE MY INSIGHTS HAVE BROUGHT TO ANYONE. I DO NOT MEANT IT THE WAY IT HAD OFFENDED ANYONE.

No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No Sad No No Sad No Sad No Sad
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Admin:

Proceeding from the different replies to the posts, and in order to avoid any subjective method of rating a member's "reputation", I therefore vote NO to the survey.

I don't know how to vote in your survey, so I am registering mine here. cheers
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by shobe on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree with Sir RDV and vote no to the Reputation Rating. It takes out the fun in posting and sharing ideas in this forum. It's not really a competition and should never be viewed as one. Nobody (in my opinion) is that knowledgeable in government procurement, that's why a lot of people ( i for one) joined this forum: to know and learn more from other people. I, for one, definitely learned a lot.
shobe
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Reputation Rating

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Based on your comments, we may have indeed acted rashly in implementing the system without deliberating fully on the possible implications and misunderstandings it will bring. We apologize for whatever confusion it has caused and will act upon your suggestions swiftly. For now, we will wait for other comments and suggestions until the end of the day; afterwhich, we shall desist from implementing the system.

Thank you again for your suggestions. We hope that this will not, in anyway, affect the harmonious and fruitful discussions in this forum. Please keep in mind that we are open to your suggestions on how to provide a more interactive and meaningful discussions in this forum.

Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://gppb.topicsolutions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by venom.0420 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Looks like the system had already brought some problems earlier than expected. I was able to view the announcement of Admin on the Reputation Rating System, unfortunately I don't know how to postreply or cast my vote on the poll, some permission restrictions I believe were placed. Please count me in to those who oppose the implementation of this rep rating system. Like I said in my previous post, a simple "thank you" post would be better than keeping track of anonymous + or -.

Again, a big NO for me. Cool
venom.0420
Active Poster
Active Poster

Male Number of posts : 98
Company/Agency : Government
Occupation/Designation : Government Employee
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Admin wrote:Based on your comments, we may have indeed acted rashly in implementing the system without deliberating fully on the possible implications and misunderstandings it will bring. We apologize for whatever confusion it has caused and will act upon your suggestions swiftly. For now, we will wait for other comments and suggestions until the end of the day; afterwhich, we shall desist from implementing the system.
If the Rating System shall be the cause of "walls among members" I would make my vote NO. If you will only just read on the idea behind my suggestion with objectivity, Rating Systems usually (productively) affect any forum system a lot. I have joined Yahoo! Answers and loved answering questions from a wide variety of fields: from relationships, to music, to poetry, to computers, to technology, to philosophy. Most of them were driven by the encouraging rating systems (ego matters). Every point is rewarding. And it should double the boost on both ego and morale.

----> If this sound like "competition" rather than plain and simple "sharing", make my NO vote two (2).

----> If everyone else believes I am not in a position to vote, make my NO vote three (3).

I just have one appeal to everyone: please set aside our emotions (and make use of emoticons Very Happy )

Seriously, let's all be fair. Razz
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Since Admin has acceeded to the GENERAL SENTIMENT
against the REPUTATION RATING,
without waiting for the end of the 30-day trial period,
it is now time to LOCK this TOPIC. bom
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master