Latest topics

Re: The use of Video, Tape and other recording device

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The use of Video, Tape and other recording device

Post by sunriser431 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Sometime last year, during the opening of bid documents, a Bidder from out of town, took out his camera and started taking pictures of the BAC members, TWG members even the BAC Secretariat was not spared.To my amazement it really disrupted the bidding proceedings, He did not even ask permission from the BAC Chairman, went confronted with the situation, he said, its only for reference purpose that he indeed witness the bidding proceedings. It also required to support his liquidation of travel expenses.The BAC Chairman advice him, we can provide a certificate of Attendance or its equivalent and sign by BAC Chairman or HOPE to support your liquidation travel expenses. It happen again this year but this time another bidder brought his own tape recorder to record the deliverations and bidding proceedings, again went confronted with the situations, he told the committee, it was the instruction of the his company legal counsel.

My question can the BAC institude control measures like the bringing of camera, tape recorder and other recording device during the bidding proceedings? Since the BAC Secretariat is task to prepare the minutes of bidding proceedings which will prevail the recordings kept by the prospective bidder or its the Agency/company record? Rolling Eyes
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1518
Company/Agency : Goccs Jolo Sulu All the way Downsouth
Occupation/Designation : IAS
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Re: The use of Video, Tape and other recording device

Post by engrjhez® on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am

sunriser431 wrote:Sometime last year, during the opening of bid documents, a Bidder from out of town, took out his camera and started taking pictures of the BAC members, TWG members even the BAC Secretariat was not spared.To my amazement it really disrupted the bidding proceedings, He did not even ask permission from the BAC Chairman, went confronted with the situation, he said, its only for reference purpose that he indeed witness the bidding proceedings. It also required to support his liquidation of travel expenses.The BAC Chairman advice him, we can provide a certificate of Attendance or its equivalent and sign by BAC Chairman or HOPE to support your liquidation travel expenses. It happen again this year but this time another bidder brought his own tape recorder to record the deliverations and bidding proceedings, again went confronted with the situations, he told the committee, it was the instruction of the his company legal counsel.

My question can the BAC institude control measures like the bringing of camera, tape recorder and other recording device during the bidding proceedings? Since the BAC Secretariat is task to prepare the minutes of bidding proceedings which will prevail the recordings kept by the prospective bidder or its the Agency/company record? Rolling Eyes
This has been already the object of discussion some time February, 2009 in this forum. (Click here for that discussion.)

Quoting Atty.Shobe on this:
...As regards your suggestion for the GPPB to EXPRESSLY allow bidders to videotape, and REQUIRE the BAC to officially record the proceedings on video -- there's clearly no prohibition, thus procuring entities and bidders are free to do such. A public bidding is in itself a public proceeding, i don't see the need to make the video recording mandatory nor for a categorical statement/resolution from the GPPB to make it effective. Likewise, (it is my humble opinion) that the GPPB should not make it mandatory...after all, not all procuring entities will be able to afford a video recorder.
The control you may want to impose lies on diplomacy. In the start of the meeting/proceeding, you may begin with:

"Does anyone out there who has a camera or video recorder and would like to cover this proceeding?
Please raise your hand."
Very Happy
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2480
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Post by sunriser431 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:16 pm

engrjhez wrote:
sunriser431 wrote:Sometime last year, during the opening of bid documents, a Bidder from out of town, took out his camera and started taking pictures of the BAC members, TWG members even the BAC Secretariat was not spared.To my amazement it really disrupted the bidding proceedings, He did not even ask permission from the BAC Chairman, went confronted with the situation, he said, its only for reference purpose that he indeed witness the bidding proceedings. It also required to support his liquidation of travel expenses.The BAC Chairman advice him, we can provide a certificate of Attendance or its equivalent and sign by BAC Chairman or HOPE to support your liquidation travel expenses. It happen again this year but this time another bidder brought his own tape recorder to record the deliverations and bidding proceedings, again went confronted with the situations, he told the committee, it was the instruction of the his company legal counsel.

This has been already the object of discussion some time February, 2009 in this forum. (Click here for that discussion.)

Quoting Atty.Shobe on this:
...As regards your suggestion for the GPPB to EXPRESSLY allow bidders to videotape, and REQUIRE the BAC to officially record the proceedings on video -- there's clearly no prohibition, thus procuring entities and bidders are free to do such. A public bidding is in itself a public proceeding, i don't see the need to make the video recording mandatory nor for a categorical statement/resolution from the GPPB to make it effective. Likewise, (it is my humble opinion) that the GPPB should not make it mandatory...after all, not all procuring entities will be able to afford a video recorder.

The control you may want to impose lies on diplomacy. In the start of the meeting/proceeding, you may begin with:
Recommendation 1
"Does anyone out there who has a camera or video recorder and would like to cover this proceeding?
Please raise your hand."
Very Happy

Recommendation 2 Post Notice/Attention to All Bidders at the BAC Office which read

"Please refrain from using Camera/Video recorder or similar recording devices during the Bidding proceedings
Your utmost cooperation is enjoined"

Thank you

BAC Chairman
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1518
Company/Agency : Goccs Jolo Sulu All the way Downsouth
Occupation/Designation : IAS
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down