Latest topics

IT Investments

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IT Investments

Post by Stitch on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:08 pm

considering the continually increasing dependency of the world on Information Technology, is it not a propriety that the IRR cover the pecularities of IT Investments related transactions such as software and licenses procurement, applications development outsourcing, and the likes? Smile Or maybe there already are, but the applicability are not too clear yet? Embarassed
Stitch

Female Number of posts : 16
Company/Agency : GOCC
Occupation/Designation : Internal Auditor
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: IT Investments

Post by engrjhez® on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Stitch wrote:considering the continually increasing dependency of the world on Information Technology, is it not a propriety that the IRR cover the pecularities of IT Investments related transactions such as software and licenses procurement, applications development outsourcing, and the likes? Smile Or maybe there already are, but the applicability are not too clear yet? Embarassed
In the procurement of view, we have yet to establish whether the clause"...proprietary in nature..." applies to Direct Contracting as a mode of procurement for the software licenses as there were a number of similar softwares (each proprietary) but gives the equivalent (if not the same) output.

Take note that the general rule of public bidding may not always be advantageous for the government in case of critical softwares. Very Happy
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2477
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 pm

So, does that mean Sir, that you also recognize the the need for a more appropriate procurement method for IT investments?
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Stitch wrote:So, does that mean Sir, that you also recognize the the need for a more appropriate procurement method for IT investments?
Partly yes, but a special consideration would be more appropriate, rather that recognizing the "need" for a more appropriate method.

• First, the procurement law is supposed to be self-sustaining, regardless of the nature and scope. Creating another procurement method designed for IT (this is what i think you are suggesting), will simply complicate the law itself. Public bidding, being the general acceptable rule, should be (still) generally applicable unless it needs to be resorted to alternative methods.
  • Second, the trend of IT is very unpredictable. It keeps on changing everytime a technology is developed or a new computing system is introduced. We do not plan to frequently amend the provisions for IT procurement more oftenly, right? So instead of treating it as a unique procurement, we simply treat it as any other method, but specially considering that technology can be obsolete in a faster rate. That is, we anticipate that any IT related product may be available this month, may be obsolete the next month (exaggerately speaking).
  • Third, "special methods" are always subject to loopholes and exploitations. Recognizing and promoting uniqueness will only invite "diversion" to that special case, thereby threatening to circumvent competition by public bidding.

BTW, can you make a brief elaboration of your concerns on licenses, outourcing, etc. that RA.9184 seemed to be inappropriate? Very Happy
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you again Sir for taking time to read and answer my query.

Actually Sir, I wouldn't really say the R.A. 9184 is inappropriate for IT initiatives. I was thinking more in the line of GPPB formulating supplementary guidelines to define baseline requirements so as to protect the government agencies from inherent risks of Information Technology such as obsolescence, Security breach, Privacy issues, etc.

I am also not sure if GPPB is the right body to tackle this, but I think there should be an agency to administer such matters. Smile
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Stitch wrote:Thank you again Sir for taking time to read and answer my query.

Actually Sir, I wouldn't really say the R.A. 9184 is inappropriate for IT initiatives. I was thinking more in the line of GPPB formulating supplementary guidelines to define baseline requirements so as to protect the government agencies from inherent risks of Information Technology such as obsolescence, Security breach, Privacy issues, etc.

I am also not sure if GPPB is the right body to tackle this, but I think there should be an agency to administer such matters. Smile

There are really a number of issues on ICT procurement, such as proprietary vs against reference to brand name, ownership issues on softwares, renewal of software licenses, ownership of source codes, proper mode of procurement for different ICT projects, price should not be lone basis for evaluating ICT, software development and software customization, etc. etc.

I think the CICT is closely coordinating with the GPPB on some of these issues.

I suggest you start a topic on issues on ICT procurement encountered by different procuring entities, how could these be resolved and also for the information of the GPPB.
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Thank you Sir RDV.

I was actually wondering if GPPB's concern is limited to the procurement process itself? Meaning, selection of vendor/supplier, pricing, and delivery? And as to Project Management beyond procurement, GPPB is no longer concerned? Or, more accurately, maybe GPPB sees the HOPEs accountable as to the necessity and appropriateness of whatever is to be purchased? And after procurement, as to the performance and/or objective attainment of an initiative, ICT or otherwise? Just my perception maybe?
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by engrjhez® on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Stitch,

What you may be asking is already tasked to other agencies such as DBM, NEDA, or COA. GPPB cannot go beyond the realms of procurement as it is a procurement policy board.

The rest of technicalities pertaining to the IT complexities is for IT's to solve. Let us not go beyond. Very Happy
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:48 am

That is what I am thinking too, Sir Engrjhez, however, maybe it wouldn't hurt, with our country to gain, if all government agencies are required/prescribed to adopt a Project Management Framework to adhere to? Otherwise, the effort of one agency, or the lack of it, may nullify the efforts of the other?

What I am trying to say is,maybe this is an example of a task, "Somebody thinks it is Somebody else's job"? Made evident by your having mentioned several agencies, supposedly tasked with the job? No specific agency to point to, right?

Sometimes, we should also be aware of the status of the whole picture in our efforts towards the attainment of our goals and not just be content of the thought that, "as long as we are doing our job!"

My apologies if that sounded too aggressive! Forced of habit of being an Auditor, to ensure that one task connects to the other without leaving a vulnerabilty available for exploitation.

Just my opinion, Sir!
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Stitch wrote:Thank you Sir RDV.

I was actually wondering if GPPB's concern is limited to the procurement process itself? Meaning, selection of vendor/supplier, pricing, and delivery? And as to Project Management beyond procurement, GPPB is no longer concerned? Or, more accurately, maybe GPPB sees the HOPEs accountable as to the necessity and appropriateness of whatever is to be purchased? And after procurement, as to the performance and/or objective attainment of an initiative, ICT or otherwise? Just my perception maybe?

Definitely, GPPB's concern is not limited only to the procurement process. It's responsibility coverns the whole gamut of "matters affecting public procurement" (that would mean before, during and after procurement). Among the duties and responsibilities of the GPPB under Sec. 63.1 of IRR-A follows:

• To protect national interest in all matters affecting public procurement, having due regard to the country’s regional and international obligations;

• To formulate and amend public procurement policies, rules and regulations, and amend, whenever necessary, this IRR-A;

• To ensure the proper implementation by procuring entities of the Act, this IRR-A and all other relevant rules and regulations pertaining to public procurement;

• To conduct an annual review of the effectiveness of the Act and recommend any amendments thereto, as may be necessary.

In effect, the concern for the selection of supplier is also covered. For example, through a GPPB Resolution, only those registered in the PhilGEPS are now allowed to participate in the public bidding process. It provides standards or guidelines on the proper determination of ABC (pricing) and delivery also (you can infer that from the PBDs). In other words, its responsibility is quite wide and I don't see why ICT could not be covered as well.

As a matter of fact, I have information that CICT is closely coordinating with GPPB on matters pertaining to ICT procurements as CICT has been given the mandate under E.O. 269, in answer to the constitutional provision that "The State shall recognize the vital role of communications and information in nation-buiding." (Sec. 24, Art. II, 1987 Philippine Constitution)
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:36 pm

That's really encouraging to know Sir RDV! Very Happy

Thank you again!
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Stitch on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/168426/RP-has-new-information-technology-commissioner

Hi Sir RDV! I heard there is a pending bill for the creation of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).

I hope if it eventually happens, the groundworks for the alignment of all Government Agencies' Information Systems Strategic Plan gainst the Government Information Systems Strategic Plan will be established.
Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top