Shortlisting of Eligible Consultants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shortlisting of Eligible Consultants

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:48 am

In the procurement of Consulting Services, the BAC shal draw up the short list of consultant from those who have been determined as eligible (Sec. 24.5.2).

The set of criteria for shortlisting by the BAC, which should be specified in the Request for Expression of Interest (REI), shall be (among others): a) Applicable experience of the consultant and members (in case of JV), considering both the overall experience of the firm or the individual experiences of the principal and key staff; b) qualification of personnel who may be assigned to the job; and c) current workload relative to capacity. (Sec. 24.5.3)

That set of criteria will be applied for those determined eligible. For purposes of determining the eligibility and shorlist of prospective bidders, ONLY the Class "A" documents (Legal, Technical and Financial) and Class "B" documents (if joint venture) shall be required by the BAC (Sec. 24.1).

However, the Class "A" documents have been reduced in the revised IRR. The following requirements in IRR-A (Sec. 24.7.1), which could be used as basis in applying the criteria for shortlisting, are no longer required in the revised IRR to be submitted:

"h) The types and number of equipment that the consultant owns, has under lease, and/or has under purchase agreements, if any;

i) If the consultant is a juridical entity, the consultant’s statement:

i.1. Of the kinds and number of its ownership and key staff, partners or principal officers, as the case may be, as well as their respective curriculum vitae;

i.2. That, when the types and fields of consulting services in which the entity wishes to engage involve professions regulated by
the laws of the Philippines, the owner and key staff, and all the partners of the professional partnership firm, as the case may be,
and those who will actually perform the service, are registered professionals authorized by the appropriate regulatory body to
practice those professions and allied professions, in accordance with the provisions of this IRR-A; and

i.3. On the prospective bidder’s technical competence, experience and staff capabilities.
"

Question: How will the BAC apply the set criteria, particularly on the qualification of personnel, without those information such as the curriculum vitae of the key staff, partners or principal officers?

Requiring additional submission of documents is not allowed with the use of the following phrase under Sec. 24.1: "... only the following documents shall be required by the BAC using the forms prescribed in the Bidding Document:"

Anybody can help clarify with me how will the BAC apply the criteria, the use of which is mandatory under Sec. 24.5.3.

Thanks. - RDV

N.B.: For GPPB-TSO - There must be some typographical errors, particularly the references to Sections 30.1 and 30.3, in the following provisions of Sec. 24.4.2 of the revised IR:

"24.4.2. Subject to the short listing of consultants as provided in this IRR, the determination of eligibility of consultants shall be based on the evaluation of the eligibility documents prescribed above in accordance with the procedures provided in Sections 30.1 and 30.3 of this IRR."

Sec. 30.1 refers to the preliminary examination of bids for goods and infra, while Sec. 30.3 refers to 2-stage bidding procedure for the procurement of goods. The relevant sections for eligibility and bid evaluation for consulting services are only Sections 24 and 33, respectively.
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Shortlisting of Eligible Consultants

Post by dlsn on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you for pointing that out sir. The concern on the submission of CVs may be addressed by requiring its submission as part of the statement requirement under Sec. 24.1.a.iv. The PE can include fields in the sample form for the statement where consultants can input relevant information for the short listing criteria.

On reference to Section 30.1 and 30.3, I am of the view that the latter reference is inappropriate considering that two-stage bidding does not apply to consulting services. However, insofar as the procedure for the opening is concerned, Section 30.1 adequately provides rules on the manner by which eligibility documents may be opened.
dlsn

Male Number of posts : 52
Company/Agency : GPPB-TSO
Occupation/Designation : Deputy Executive Director
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:08 pm

dlsn wrote:Thank you for pointing that out sir. The concern on the submission of CVs may be addressed by requiring its submission as part of the statement requirement under Sec. 24.1.a.iv. The PE can include fields in the sample form for the statement where consultants can input relevant information for the short listing criteria.

Unfortunately, there is no such "sample form" in the PBDs, 3rd Edition, that would guide procuring entities when they issue their eligibility requirements.

dlsn wrote:On reference to Section 30.1 and 30.3, I am of the view that the latter reference is inappropriate considering that two-stage bidding does not apply to consulting services. However, insofar as the procedure for the opening is concerned, Section 30.1 adequately provides rules on the manner by which eligibility documents may be opened.

Sec. 30.1 is still inappropriate since there is no opening of eligibility documents during bid openings for consulting services. It is only applicable for goods and infra. Bid evaluation for consulting services is covered specifically by Sec. 34 and this section does not apply to goods and infra.
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm

dlsn wrote:Thank you for pointing that out sir. The concern on the submission of CVs may be addressed by requiring its submission as part of the statement requirement under Sec. 24.1.a.iv. The PE can include fields in the sample form for the statement where consultants can input relevant information for the short listing criteria.

On reference to Section 30.1 and 30.3, I am of the view that the latter reference is inappropriate considering that two-stage bidding does not apply to consulting services. However, insofar as the procedure for the opening is concerned, Section 30.1 adequately provides rules on the manner by which eligibility documents may be opened.

GPPB Resolution 11-2009 has been issued in answer to my concerns.

Thank you, dlsn.

However, I have another observation as to the definition of "treaties"

RDV
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Back to top Go down