Procurement Manual for Barangays and Procurment of Art Works

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Procurement Manual for Barangays and Procurment of Art Works

Post by Mikel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 pm

This is to inquire on the supposed issuance of a procurement manual specifically for barangays as stated in the procurement manual for LGUs (Book I (2) Purpose, Scope and Application). Considering the peculiarity of the administrative structure and operations of barangay governments, even the generic manual is not applicable.

Also, i would like to request guidance on the proper procurement procedure for the hiring/ 'commissioning' of a sculptor by an LGU which has a project to create a commemorative structure in its plaza. Is a 'design-and-construct' method allowed under RA 9184 or the design stage under the consultancy procurement and the 'construction' phase under services or infra?

Mikel
Active Poster
Active Poster

Male Number of posts : 72
Company/Agency : Gobyerno ng Pilipinas
Occupation/Designation : Empleyado
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Procurement Manual for Barangays and Procurment of Art Works

Post by engrjhez® on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:17 pm

It is very rare we see State Auditors joining a forum especially on procurement - but here's one!

If you are looking for the guidelines regarding barangay level procurement, the GPPB has issued one. Please refer to the link below (funny this is not available on GPPB website) and look for Appendix "A":

.pdf]http://www.procurementwatch.org.ph/Handbook%20on%20Phil.%20Govt.%20Procurement[Sept07].pdf

In my view as an engineer, I do not consider sculpture as an infra project. I will site four of the basic reasons:

1. it does not involve the use of composite materials in attaining a structure and stability is not an object;

2. it uses the art, not the science of structures;

3. it does not follow engineering standards for the valuation of the end product; and specifically,

4. engineering has nothing to do with such similar artistic sculptures;

The Barangay BAC may resort to appropriate alternative methods of procurement as appropriate because it will not be appropriate for public bidding. But definitely, not as an infra project.

My take Laughing
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2480
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks for the info.

Mikel
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:29 am

Mikel wrote:This is to inquire on the supposed issuance of a procurement manual specifically for barangays as stated in the procurement manual for LGUs (Book I (2) Purpose, Scope and Application). Considering the peculiarity of the administrative structure and operations of barangay governments, even the generic manual is not applicable.

As far as I know, a procurement manual for barangays is currently being developed.

Mikel wrote:Also, i would like to request guidance on the proper procurement procedure for the hiring/ 'commissioning' of a sculptor by an LGU which has a project to create a commemorative structure in its plaza. Is a 'design-and-construct' method allowed under RA 9184 or the design stage under the consultancy procurement and the 'construction' phase under services or infra?

Design-and-construct or Design-and-build scheme is allowed. The GPPB issued Resolution No. 22-2007 dated 28 September 2007 for the purpose. Follow this link for the guidelines. http://www.gppb.gov.ph/issuances/Guidelines/2007/Design%20and%20Build%20Scheme.pdf.

For the particular project of commissioning of a sculptor to construct a commemorative structure in an LGU plaza, it may simply fall under Procurement of Goods and Services or consulting services, depending on the level of technical or professional expertise that would be involved. Although, there would be some mixture of procurement involving procurement of infra, as there involves a construction of a "commemorative structure" and procurement of services or consulting services, as the design of the actual sculpture would be involved, you have to examine the definition of Procurement under Sec. 5(p) or the IRR-A, as follows:

"p) Procurement. Refers to the acquisition of Goods, Consulting Services, and the
contracting for Infrastructure Projects by the Procuring Entity. In case of projects
involving mixed procurements, the nature of the procurement, i.e., goods,
infrastructure projects, or consulting services, shall be determined based on the
primary purpose of the contract.
Procurement shall also include the lease of goods
and real estate. With respect to real property, its procurement shall be governed
by the provisions of R.A. 8974 and other applicable laws, rules and regulations.
"

The particular LGU project invoved "mixed procurment". Following, therefore, the preceding definition, the procurement procedure shall be determined based on the primary purpose of the contract. I would think that the primary purpose is procurement of services or maybe consulting services. The infra component to be procured shall, therefore, be subsumed under the particular procurement procedure that the LGU will finally choose.
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks, considering that the sculpture work includes the creation of a design based on a specific concept, i.e. the creation of the LGU during the Spanish era, i would tend to agree that this is a consultancy project. If i may ask, where can I gather information regarding the commissioning of the artist who did the Oblation sculpture in UP PGH? It was done last year, i think. Again, thank you very much.

Mikel
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RDV @ GP3i on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Mikel wrote: If i may ask, where can I gather information regarding the commissioning of the artist who did the Oblation sculpture in UP PGH? It was done last year, i think.

Maybe this link could help you find the information you need, including the name of the artist who was commissioned to do the sculpture.

http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20090102-180988
RDV @ GP3i
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1611
Company/Agency : DBM-Reg'l Office IV-B
Occupation/Designation : Regional Director/ Procurement Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://gppphil.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks for the link sir, it was most helpful.

Mikel
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Procurement Manual for Barangays

Post by dlsn on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:49 am

Mikel wrote:This is to inquire on the supposed issuance of a procurement manual specifically for barangays as stated in the procurement manual for LGUs (Book I (2) Purpose, Scope and Application). Considering the peculiarity of the administrative structure and operations of barangay governments, even the generic manual is not applicable.
engrjhez wrote:If you are looking for the guidelines regarding barangay level procurement, the GPPB has issued one. Please refer to the link below (funny this is not available on GPPB website) and look for Appendix "A":
Sir RDV is correct, a Procurement Manual for Barangays is currently being crafted. It will be submitted to the GPPB for approval soon. However, in light of the current efforts to amend the IRR-A, I think it may be necessary to postpone the approval of said procurement manual. Trust that we will be posting it in the GPPB website as soon as it is approved.

The link provided by engrjhez leads to an uploaded copy of the Handbook on Philippine Government Procurement compiled by the GPPB-TSO.
dlsn

Male Number of posts : 52
Company/Agency : GPPB-TSO
Occupation/Designation : Deputy Executive Director
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top