purchase of software

View previous topic View next topic Go down

purchase of software

Post by eomons on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:41 am

We are about to purchase a payroll software. The question is, "can we specify that the payroll software must be made using only Oracle language?". I understand that RA9184 prohibits indicating brand when making purchase request so that the bidding process will be objective as possible.

May I hear from anyone (preferably from GPPB), please. Thank you.
avatar
eomons
New Member
New Member

Male Number of posts : 2
Company/Agency : c
Occupation/Designation : a
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by engrjhez® on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:55 pm

eomons wrote:We are about to purchase a payroll software. The question is, "can we specify that the payroll software must be made using only Oracle language?". I understand that RA9184 prohibits indicating brand when making purchase request so that the bidding process will be objective as possible.

May I hear from anyone (preferably from GPPB), please. Thank you.

Welcome eomons,

Since no one from the GPPB may be available to answer your question, I will try. Please be reminded however even the answer was from GPPB, it shall not be considered an official statement of the GPPB nor GPPB-TSO. What we share here are opinions only - although most of our opinions are already in great agreement with the law.

My answer is NO based on the following reasons:

1. Oracle-based programs or database systems do not monopolize the market. As you indirectly cited, RA.9184 requires public bidding as the default mode.

2. Oracle produces third party softwares which are founded on basic database codes. Although proprietary, it has many counterparts in the market.

3. Finally, since Oracle is a brand as you correctly pointed out, it cannot be referred to under the technical specifications.

We have so many computer programmers in the country who developed similar programs for "payroll systems". Some were developed under C, C+, C++, FoxPro, etc. It costs a lot cheaper with almost equivalent results. So, unless there is a requirement which cannot be found anywhere except from Oracle, and that prohibits others from doing it, you cannot specify it - otherwise, it is Direct Contracting. Smile
avatar
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2481
Age : 39
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by sunriser431 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 pm

eomons wrote:We are about to purchase a payroll software. The question is, "can we specify that the payroll software must be made using only Oracle language?". I understand that RA9184 prohibits indicating brand when making purchase request so that the bidding process will be objective as possible.

May I hear from anyone (preferably from GPPB), please. Thank you.
For information purpose only. Forum Rules link
avatar
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1518
Company/Agency : Goccs Jolo Sulu All the way Downsouth
Occupation/Designation : IAS
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by eomons on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 am

First of all, good day to you, engrjhez. Thank you very much for your valuable and very informative reply. It indeed clarified us on the subject matter.

If you don't mind, I will throw in another somewhat related question. If we consider availing the services of a professional programmer, instead of buying a software, how do you think we shall best do it. I mean, will the selection of a programmer be subjected to RA9184 IRR. What will be the documentary requirements that we need to comply. It is the paramount concern of our agency to abide by the procurement law.

Again, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
avatar
eomons
New Member
New Member

Male Number of posts : 2
Company/Agency : c
Occupation/Designation : a
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by engrjhez® on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 am

eomons wrote:First of all, good day to you, engrjhez. Thank you very much for your valuable and very informative reply. It indeed clarified us on the subject matter.

If you don't mind, I will throw in another somewhat related question. If we consider availing the services of a professional programmer, instead of buying a software, how do you think we shall best do it. I mean, will the selection of a programmer be subjected to RA9184 IRR. What will be the documentary requirements that we need to comply. It is the paramount concern of our agency to abide by the procurement law.

Again, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

You may hire a Job Order employee with fixed contract on the output (which is the payroll program). This is already not covered by R.A. 9184 but by Civil Service rules. Just be sure that you include in the contract the pass-on training and troubleshooting of the software to plantilla personnel. Smile
avatar
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2481
Age : 39
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by sunriser431 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

May I butt in, suggestion only, how about seek assistance from the National Computer Center. Website Address.
avatar
sunriser431
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 1518
Company/Agency : Goccs Jolo Sulu All the way Downsouth
Occupation/Designation : IAS
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by engrjhez® on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:17 pm

sunriser431 wrote:May I butt in, suggestion only, how about seek assistance from the National Computer Center. Website Address.

Nice idea. I believe the UP College of Engineering (I am not aware of the other colleges) operates develop software applications on open-source system (Linux). One notable and award winning application is the University Virtual Learning Environment and some others based on the motivation of being fully "open source" compliant. Smile
avatar
engrjhez®
Grand Master
Grand Master

Male Number of posts : 2481
Age : 39
Company/Agency : City Government of Bacoor [Region IV-A, Province of Cavite]
Occupation/Designation : Office of the City Legal Service (OCLS) / Certified National Trainer - PhilGEPS
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.bacoor.gov.ph

Back to top Go down

Re: purchase of software

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum